NAIT Optical Sciences ProgramsThe NAIT Optical Sciences Programs are fully accredited*, online, distance learning programs with an extensive clinical component completed on-the-job similar in nature to an apprenticeship; students perfect their skills under the supervision of a qualified preceptor at their place of employment.
The Optical Sciences programs are produced by the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) and endorsed by the Opticians Association of Canada (OAC). The programs are administered by the OAC for students residing outside of the province of Alberta.
These programs are available throughout Canada and Internationally.
The following Optical Sciences training programs are available through NAIT/OAC:
- Eyeglasses Diploma Program – the four-semester Eyeglasses Program will give you the knowledge and skills required of a licensed optician. CLICK HERE to learn more.
- Contact Lens Certificate Program – the two-semester advanced practice Contact Lens Program will give you the knowledge and skills required to dispense contact lenses. CLICK HERE to learn more.
- Refracting Program - this program is intended for licensed Contact Lens fitters who wish to learn the theory and methodologies involved in refraction. Academic studies are 15-weeks in length, the clinical component is 6 months. CLICK HERE to learn more.
Next Intake Start Dates:
- August 28, 2018 – All Optical Sciences Programs
- January 3, 2019 – Eyeglasses Year One Only
- August 27, 2019 - All Optical Sciences Programs
Request More Information:
To request further information on any of the above programs, email email@example.com or call 1-800-847-3155. Please indicate which program you are interested in and your province of residence. You will be sent a course information and application package by email.
*Accredited by National Association of Canadian Optician Regulators (NACOR)
The Opticians Association of Canada (OAC) has an extensive online continuing education library available to its members for use towards their professional learning requirements. The online library consists of electronic module articles as well as video modules. New content is consistently being added to the online library for the benefit of our members.
OAC members receive four (4) free online modules per year as a benefit of membership.